Seven years after the end of World War II, the Federal Ministry for Food, Agriculture and
The 999 GRT ship was built as side trawler. The crew, including a ships doctor, meteorologist and weather technician, amounted to 30, for scientific work the ship offered 15 places.
The spacious (lower) working deck offered the opportunity to mount fish processing machines for test options. The capacity of the fish room for fresh fish was 1000 baskets, while for deep frozen fish 18 m³ cooling capacity (-25°C) was available.
The ship offered the following special laboratories:
1. Oceanographic register room
2. Oceanographic laboratory
3. Biological laboratory
4. Fish laboratory
5. Bacteriological laboratory
6. Laboratory for research on nets and material
7. Echosounding room
9. Aquarium room
10. Hydrographic duct, running vertically through the ship (the upper end of this duct was located in the engine room of the winches, the lower end had an opening in the ships floor)
During her 164 research cruises, FRV “Anton Dohrn” made more than 600.000 nautical miles during 3.727 days at sea. 8.157 trawls were made, 7.777 catches with larvae nets were performed.
Two outstanding events bear witness to the successful research of the vessel: the discovery of fishing grounds between Greenland and Iceland during 1955, now referred to as “Dohrn Bank” in nautical charts, and shortly after, the discovery of a sea mount west off the Hebrides, now called “Anton Dohrn sea mount”.
After 17 years in duty, FRV “Anton Dohrn” was decommissioned as research platform in July 1972. After conversion to fishery protection vessel, the ship was given the name “MEERKATZE” in December 1972. The ship then operated mostly in waters around